Monday, August 15, 2016

All plans off today

This morning my friend Gail called.  she was coming into town and wondered if I would like to go to Poco Beads with her.  Like I need more beads!!  So, of course I said yes.  My shopping trip yesterday was a disaster, as my coupon was no good, and I got pissed, and walked out of the store.  Coming home I did the math and realized that I could have put one shirt back and bought a pair of stone washed jeans, and two very nice cotton long sleeved shirts for $70, plus tax, on sale, about what it would have cost me if I had been able to use my coupon.  Duh!  But this meant that there was enough room on my small credit card to go to Poco Beads.  There was nothing specific I wanted, but saw some "fresh water pearls" that immediately called out to me. I mentally planned a new reliquary, and bought the beads that will be needed to make it.  Everything was on sale ( which was why we went), so I only spent about $30

Gail picked me up just before 1:00, and off we went.  We spent quite awhile in the bead store, and then headed over to Polo Park food court so she could have lunch.  It was well after 3:00 when we left Polo Park.  ( I had a very nice dark roast coffee there, from the only coffee shop in the food court.  A nice treat!)  Then she wanted to head for KMG, the place that buys gold and silver.  They keep a bucket, in which they throw any silver plate etc, that they buy, but aren't able to re-sell in bulk.  They will allow her to go through it and take anything she wants, paying the going rate for copper.  While we were waiting to be served, a young man, with a bag full of silver plate, was turned away ( I think he left when he wasn't offered what he thought his stuff was worth)  She followed him out and a deal was made in the parking lot.  It was nice stuff, although not too fancy a pattern, but I still think she paid too much.  Then it was back into the store where she got a big bag of stuff, and was very happy.  She will now turn all of this into jewelry.  So your sister was out today buying questionable silver out of the the trunk of a car in a parking lot.

By this time, it was getting late and at the peak of rush hour.  We were at the far end of Academy Road, and about to head back to East Kildonan.  Not a bad trip except--every single road we wanted to travel on was reduced to single lane with construction.  And did I mention that it was rush hour.  We just made it back to our house, about 4:45, when the skies burst--and I mean burst--a deluge.  I made it into the house in time, but Gail was heading home, South
East of the city, and the same direction the storm appeared to be travelling.


When I arrived home, David had taken the carcass of the turkey, and was turning it into stock.  It had been a large turkey, and he had left more meat than usual on the bones, so there were two large slow cookers and a large stock pot in use  My plan is to freeze the stock, to use in the recipes out of my diet book.  I know the book calls for veggie stock, but I don't care.  The price is right on this stuff.   The slow cookers will be left on all night, but the stock pot will have to be dealt with.

Then, I'm hoping for a quiet evening, and to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment