Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sorry I wasn't home last night. David was very restless yesterday. He wants to be in the garden, but it was just too awful out there, so we went for a drive. A long one as it turned out. We had supper out, and I had a small steak. With my chicken and fish only diet, I was really craving a bit of beef. Well, I think it was okay, but who could tell with all that salt! Amber and the children are coming for supper. I was going to say that I envy you Cathy with children who are old enough to use the toilet and eat by themselves, but then I remembered that Mady is a teenager now, and that has it's own problems. We were going through the freezer, trying to find something to feed them, and stumbled on some of Daddy's ribs. I know Amber will enjoy them! Desserts are a problem. It turns out that I'm the only one of the bunch who likes chocolate! Who are these people and why are they in my house?

David should be able to get out into the garden today. He needs to dig up the veggie garden so we can plant. My Hellebore is beautiful. Only one of the five is big enough for flowers. As buds as when they first bloom they have alovely burgundy colour, but they turn green as they fade. The flowers fade but don't seem to die, or else they last for months. I love these flowers, and they grow so well in the shady part of the garden. They're not cheap, but I try to add one or two every year. I lost one the first year, and may have lost one last year. We were worried about the ladyslippers. David split half of them last year, and the smaller clumps didn't come up this year, until quite late. They are in a shadier section than the larger clumps, and I had thought that maybe they needed more sun, but they are up about an inch now. The larger clump is up 3-4 inches already.

I can remember making rhubarb pie for the 24th of May--not this year. I can't see picking rhubarb for a week or two. I remember Mom always saying not to pick it after the first of July--I think she got that from Grannie. It's worked well for me, but that means a very short picking season this year, and we like to save some for wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment