Friday, May 22, 2009

We never know what drives people to self destruction. In the course I took on suicide prevention, we were told to stress the positives in our negotiations. To try to pull out any glimmer of a positive that could be used as a reason to live. And that was pretty well as good as it got, because every person has their own resons. One thing we DID learn was that it isn't in the depths of dispair that people do it, but rather as they are coming out of the depths and look back to how very bad things were in those depths. I think that, now, there is a growing belief that issues that lead to suicide in youg people are often quite different than those of more mature people. I know that I firmly believe that.

Tomorrow is the big garage sale. We are heading out to Amber's to help with pricing and set up today. This weekend is also the Door Open Winnipeg event, when there are tours etc of all ofthe interesting buildings. When this started it used to be interesting buildings in the downtown area but I see that it's spread to include the North End, the Exchange, and St. Boniface. The most popular building is always the Vaughan Street Jail. Beth, didn't you have an old boyfriend whose mother was a matron there?
Where I'm going with this, is that the Crafts Museum is on the tour this year, and we have to man it with volunteers. I drew the 3:30 to 6:00 shift tomorrow. And a garage sale in Lorette as well! When I checked the special insert in the newspaper, with maps to help people find all of these interesting places, I discoverd that they had misplaced the museum. So now the Board is trying to figure out how to addess this. The end result is that I'm borrowing a sandwich board from Dianne in Steinbach to put out on the street with directional arrrows. I'l have to pick it up while I'm out that way today, and somehow get it to the Museum so that it can be used tomorrow, since I'll be in Lorette until 2:30.

Then Sunday is an afternoon meeting in Oakbank. Who ever said that retirement is boring lied!
Love Pati

2 comments:

  1. I have actually suffered from suicidal thoughts myself and I must tell you that they no joke. Mental issues can happen to anyone at any stage in life. And I would wish people to be empathetic towards such people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The style of the presentation of this post is so attractive.I was really looking to find this post. Go with site webstagram to know many wonderful things on instagram,

    ReplyDelete