Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Balanced diet

Amber and the girls came for supper on Sunday.  David was looking after the turkey, and as soon as the girls arrived, I was told that they wanted to make wallets. Thinking we had lots of time ( everything was prepared ahead of time and just needed monitoring upstairs) I agreed.  Jessica knew exactly what she wanted to make, but couldn't explain it to me, so Amber gave me an idea, and away we went.  Amber wasn't feeling well and left us to it.  We were just getting started when David told me that things were coming together a little faster than expected, so I tried to rush the process a bit.  Next thing is a frantic call from David saying he needed help.  Everything was cooked, but salad etc wasn't ready, so we had a frantic rush to set the table and get the food over there.  A nice meal, but sometimes I forget that children are not neat eaters.  We had brownie for dessert, and they left early, as Amber really was really suffering with a sore back.  Both David and I were "pooped out" when they left, so I don't know how you do it Cathy.  Seventeen people!!

Next day, I had thought we would survive on left overs.  I was up a little early, and had my breakfast of tea and cinnamon maple sugar on toast, when David got up and suggested we head for Tim's for breakfast.  Having eaten, I just had a donut, then home and a bit of basement work.  I wasn't hungry at lunch time so just had a large piece of leftover brownie ( with chocolate icing).  Later in the afternoon, I was feeling a little "peckish" so had another large piece of leftover brownie.  Nibbled on a bit of turkey for supper, but remembered that the lady I was to visit that night always served chocolate cake  to guests, so had a piece of cantaloup instead of more of the leftover brownie.

Lo and behold, she served us a very rich brownie, no chocolate icing, but a big scoop of ice cream.  Needless to say, the scale was a little up on Tuesday morning.

Yesterday, I volunteered at the gallery in Selkirk.  The show is lovely, but a little smaller than other years.  Still, the reporter from the local paper was in, and quite interested in the art that involved less common techniques, such as fibre and collages.  The fellow I was working with, someone I had worked with before, warned me that next week, when I'm going back again, I will be working with the Board Chairman, who is planning on talking to me about sitting on the Board.  It's a slippery slope, isn't it Cathy.  I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I've become discouraged with the more local artists' group, and probably won't be getting more involved with them, so this might be an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment