Sunday, September 16, 2012

Making wine

David and I used to make quite a bit of wine from scratch, but I stopped when my allergy to red wine became a problem.  I used to quite enjoy elderberry wine, but would usually only make one gallon at a time.  It takes nine months to a year to get wine ready to drink. David still makes at least one batch a year, usually from rhubarb.  We have one that was started this spring, which is just about ready to bottle.  But we usually keep it in the carboy until we have enough bottles.  It takes up a lot less room, that way, and is much easier to manage.  It should be ready to drink next spring.

You sound so busy.  It is almost scarey around here.  We both worked much harder than usual yesterday, David especially.  We slept well, and weren't able to do much more than putter around here today. Supper went in the crock pot right after breakfast, when I had a bit of energy. David's knee was very sore, so there was no bike ride today, but the wind was a little bit higher than I like, so maybe that was a good thing.  With having to clear out a path to the laundry room for the men yesterday, I was forced to give some thought to the efficiency and convenience of the layout of the basement.  So we moved a bit of the furniture around and actually got rid of a bit more "crap. ( There's still an old, colourful dryer in the backyard.)  In an effort to relax today, David moved a whole container of compost.  This is a shovel and wheelbarrow endevour.  Relax?  Yeah, sure.  I spent most of the day working on the African fabric quilt for our bed.  This has become a labour, as opposed to a labour of love.  I'll be glad to see the end of it. I can see the end of the tunnel, so I'll keep on keeping on,  but I'm ready for a new challenge.

Today we've been trying to get used to the changes I made in the computer system, with the help of the Geek Squad, yesterday.  At this point we're not impressed, but I have my toolbar back on the laptop.  Next step will be trying to post pictures.  Oh, just a minute--guess I need a camera for that.  Oh well, more plastic money--maybe.  Rrain, if you're reading this, I seriously looked at Microsoft Publisher.  More and more I'm wanting to play with this.  The problem is that I want it, I don't need it.  None the less, if my fabric sale goes well, I may be calling you on your offer to help me with it.  More likely, it will wait until we get an income tax refund next spring.

I know that the theory about being grateful says that you must look for the more concrete, little things, as that causes you to find pleasure in the smaller things in life.  Today, being outside in the sun, discussing the garden, and the neighbours, and the congregation across the street,  I was just grateful for the day, and the privilege of being a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment