Sunday, October 5, 2014

Saw a movie

We've been trying to see guardians of the Galaxy for weeks and finally got to go today.  David did NOT want to see it in 3-D, so our only choice was a Saturday or Sunday matinee.  I thought maybe there would be a theatre full of kids but actually there were only about 12 people watching.  Most of those appeared to be fathers with young children.

We don't see very many movies-I can't remember the last time we went.  This had good reviews, and an interesting cast, but was basically a space shoot'em up.  It was adapted from a comic book and was actually produced in Marvel Studios.  I gather the comic has been around for awhile, as the first bit of the movie was introducing characters--so many that I was confused.  It was the sort of thing where you just suspend rational thought, or trying to figure anything out, and enjoy the action.  And, boy, was there ever a lot of action!  I don't think David enjoyed it as much as I did, and my enjoyment was more about the special and visual effects than any story or plot.

But it made me remember seeing Star Wars when it came out, and then Lord of the Rings.  I guess the technical aspects of movie making have come a very long way, and since I see so few movies, I was blown away by the special effects. One of the characters was a genetically-enhanced raccoon.  He was totally believable, whether he was fighting, flying a space ship,  serving as computer geek to the good guys, or being drunk,and disorderly in a bar.  The visual effects of the "dog fights in space" were mind blowing.

A quiet evening.  I saw the season premiere of Bar Rescue, and now we are ready for our trip.  The boys decided which one would come with us, and he and Joy will be up all night waiting in the kitchen for us to leave.  We plan to get up and go, gassing up and buying breakfast on the way out of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment