Friday, April 22, 2016

Frivolity?

I do not think of this as a week of frivolity.  I love of both of you so much!  i guess to be honest I feel like both of you think of me as the baby sister.  I am, however, over 60 years old!!  But, yes, I am still the baby sister.  Both of you have medical backgrounds.  That separates me from you in one way.  You are educated in one way, but I am educated in another.  Our upbringings were different.  I have very few good memories of Mom. My main memory is of her is spending hours rubbing my chest when I couldn't breathe.  You both have memories of her that I can't share. Neither of you can understand what it was like to have a Mother that didn;t know who you were.  I remember the resentment that Beth felt when she had to work a shift in Intensive Care and then come home to make supper because I hadn.t come home from school. (I couldn't come home. She stabbed me with a knife because she thought I was breaking in) I also realise that this is not something that the three of us have ever discussed.  Maybe the two of you have.  I know that it was only this last year that I was told that Mom did not have altsimers.  (remember that my computer does not have the last letter of the alphabet)  That means that for over 40 years something was kept from me (the "baby" sister).  I am sure that part of the fault lies with me for not asking the questions, but I guess that goes back to the medical vs agricultural backgrounds. (do either of you know the life cycle of the woodtick? )  On a lighter note.... remember Auntie Lorrain saying that whenever Mom showed up at her door with a bowl of something she would make it into cookies!?  She said that we must have had some of the strangest chocolate cookies ever! I remember Mom and her ladies ( I know you have a name for them)  I remember running outside one day when they were there and announcing "I can pop out of my front bum!"  Mom must have been so embarrassed!   I know I hurt Daddy when I moved out, but he was always talking about the two of us and what we would be doing in the years to come.  I felt trapped.  i was so glad when he met Phyllis. They were so different, but she gave him life. ("I'm spending the night at the widow"s house.... in Colin's room mind you) You two probably never got that line :) Remember at Daddy's memorial service (I know you weren't there Beth) when Colin talked about the first night that Daddy & Phyllis spent together away from the house.  Colin said that daddy was so emrarressed and was twisting his hat in his hand  This is such  a strange post from me.  I love both of you so much

No comments:

Post a Comment