Friday, April 1, 2016

In over my head

Today we went to the Home and Garden Show.  Pretty well a waste of time and money, but I did bring home a brochure that may prove to be a help.  There was only one display that had anything to do with kitchens, and that was for the very expensive Flo-Form counter tops.  I did get the designer's card and she advised me to stay right away from any sort of back splash with small tiles as they are a bugger to keep clean (  I had already figured that out!)  Too bad, as they are all the rage on the home renovation shows we're seeing on tv.

The brochure I mentioned was a general glossy flyer  advertising local home renovation companies. Going through the pictures showed me that some of the things I want are available--for a price, I'm sure.  This was a great re-assurance to me, and I'm feeling better about the whole project.  I've definitely decided that we are going to have a contractor.  Neither of us is prepared to serve as our own contractor.  That's a real minefield!  Some of the articles tell me that I will need a designer, some say I need an architect, and others say I need both. There is obviously a lengthy preparation process, before anything gets done.  This process ends when a contract is signed.  I've asked Loren if there might be any chance Sheila could help or advise me, through that process.

Whatever happens in the long term, we are going to have to start looking through showrooms.  Unfortunately, the really competent companies don't need showrooms 'cause they're booked up for the next 50 years.

Only a week until we head for Neepawa. Sure hope you're going to have some time for us, Cathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment