Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Freezing fruit

I've frozen more fruit this year, than ever before, especially grapes.  I love seedless grapes, both green and red.  But they package them in huge bags--far more than I could ever eat before the rest go bad.  So now I buy as little as I can, enjoy a couple of meals, and freeze the rest for smoothies.  Once or twice, during the summer there are big tubs of blueberries offered quite cheap, and they freeze well.  The other is strawberries, now that I've learned to freeze them whole, for use in smoothies.

My job for today is to make a "to do" list for the sale.  I realized, in bed last night, that I've done nothing, but bake some cookies.  I sent some photos to be posted on social media, but had done nothing about getting the pieces ready.  Today is also the first day to drop off pieces for the Manitoba Crafts Council show coming up in January.  This year they have asked for quite small entries--max 30 cm by 30cm, with a limit of one entry.  Luckily I had three 12 by 12's handy, and selected one to take in today.

Otherwise I've done none of my usual preparations for Christmas.  My Christmas dishes remain on a shelf at the top of the pantry.  Two naked Trees still sit on the chest in the basement.  What baking is done will be it, although I'm thinking of buying a tray of brownies--more for my benefit than anyone else's. I wonder if there will be enough Melting Moments for both the craft sale and Christmas.  I do have a pound of butter in reserve--just in case.  (who do I think I'm fooling?  Of course I'll find an excuse to make more!) But part of me wonders why I don't feel the urge to start doing more to get ready to celebrate.  Especially in this house where we have three separate celebrations within that one week.  Yep, this year makes it 53 years married.  

Yesterday, I decided to try to make some Coq au Vin like we had last fall.  That was a meal to remember, both for the food and the company. Checking the recipe, I realized that, while I've used the recipe as a starting point, what I'm really doing is my own concoction, and bears very little similarity to the original.  Probably the only parts that are the same are using chicken and wine.  Regardless, I tasted the sauce after it was cooked, and it tasted quite fine.  Mind you, that was after drinking the wine that was left in the bottle, while waiting for it to be done. Anyway, one meal of it for supper tonight, and one in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment