Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Sort of a weird two days

I agreed to take minutes at a meeting in Selkirk on Monday, only to discover that I am now the secretary for the organization. I thought about it a lot, and made the decision to make the best effort to do the best job I can, taking into consideration my age and the health of both of us. Just prior to the meeting, I found out that there was also a meeting on Tuesday morning, which was to be an "educational meeting" with a representative from Canada Revenue Agency.  Not knowing if this might mean future work, or change of procedures, in terms of the secretary's duties, both the accountant and President thought it might be good for me to attend that one as well.  OMG!  This means getting up early two days in a row!  Turned out that there is very little impact on my work, but I sure did learn a lot about taxes and charitable organizations.

But I did it, and got up and drove out there in time to get a coffee and be ready for a meeting at 10:00 on Monday and 9:00 on Tuesday.  Then spent time familiarizing myself with the filing system on Tuesday.  I think I have it under control--so far.  Got all the typing done that I can, for the moment, after supper yesterday. But I sure was tired last evening, and even fell asleep--more than once--while watching tv.  Just because I was too stubborn to go to bed.

Meanwhile, yesterday, David did the laundry, and bottled wine, while I was away.  He was pretty tired too, and had a solid 9 hours of mask time last night.  This is darn good for him.

All of this didn't leave much time for studio work.  But I did get a bit of machine sewing done on one of the three Christmas stockings I want to have done before the end of the month.  For the past two years I have promised myself to make them for the special Christmas event at the gallery in Selkirk, but didn't get it done.  Next year I'll be ready.  I've also promised myself that on January 2nd, I will start getting ready for the class I'm teaching in February.  This is a new class, and I will have to prepare a whole document that will act as the basis of everything I say during class, as well as the basis of a handout, should I decide one is necessary.  In the past I've started the process too early, and had forgotten a lot of it by class time.  This has meant a full review and revision at the last minute.  I want to avoid that.  I don't anticipate the need to make any samples, which is a blessing.  But even the work I'm doing on the stockings has the potential to act as a sample, should the need become necessary.  

This morning was beautiful.  With the warmer weather we're having, morning means a delicate light mist, and hoar frost--always a treat.  While I was out yesterday, my friend Gail phoned, to tell us about the hoar frost, and ask if we'd seen it.  I hope this means that she was out taking photos.  I worry that her endless work on jewelry production, interferes with her art photography. She is known for her art photography, and has been published in magazines, although I don't think it brings her very much money. 

Okay!  Time to make more tea, and face the day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment