Saturday, December 1, 2018

Wonderful busy

This weekend is one I've been waiting for for months--Holiday Alley in Selkirk.  I was there more by happenstance than plan, last year, and still think of the day I had.  This year, I put my name down for a 3 hour shift last evening, and 5 hours today.  The gallery is warm and has chairs, so suits me.  The activities listed for outdoors, where the street is closed off and there is everything from a blacksmith to a music stage, appeal to me a little less.  There is also a indoor craft sale, at the end of the street.  I haven't had any interest in craft sales for several years now, but have heard that this one has some better quality crafts, that are worth seeing.  Not sure that I'll get the chance though.

David went with me last evening, taking a book, with plans to sit to one side, and read.  Didn't happen.  At one point he ended up beside the guest book, where he was told to ask people to sign.  Unfortunately, the crowds were so heavy that this turned out to be unrealistic. 

My level of involvement, with the gallery, has been relatively low over the years, but I now find myself taking a more active role.  I've been reluctant to do this, as I see a close organization, with many very competent women, all of whom appear to very much be in charge.  They have worked out some sort of system, amongst themselves, to minimize conflict.  I now have to figure out that system, and create a place/role for myself within it, if I want to contribute rather than sabotage.  What I think I'm seeing, is that they each take on responsibility for one segment of a larger task, and then stick rigidly to their own, now more limited, role, but each is  absolutely in charge of her prescribed area.   I hope to learn more today.

No comments:

Post a Comment