Thursday, December 27, 2018

Preparing for another storm...

This is to start tomorrow and into Sat with temps around 7 degrees and with it, freezing rain and then rain - then the temperature falls dramatically into frigid conditions again. What a roller coaster ride we have been having!
Now to the Family Gatherings... loved the Findlay picture - what a happy gang!  And I could see the backgammon board on the floor. I love that game - used to play it all the time - now I bring out my board and set it up and try to play with myself. Doesn't work! Hope the younger ones enjoyed it and plan to play again?  Was it your board Pati or did Loren bring it?  And Cathy I expect you also had lots of fun - and I see by your picture that Chloe was already serving, as a hostess should. She has the biggest smile so I know she was playing the role, right?
We are getting back to normal now, are we? What is normal? I have already started to put away some of my decorations and packing up the wrapping paper and ribbons and bows for next year. I shall keep my little tree up into New Years but then shall take everything down in earnest.
Today we received a card and letter from a couple in BC who we met in Germany and then again in Victoria when we lived there. he was actually Harry's superior in Germany. The letter outlined his decline to a residence facility now and she still alone in their house and pending a knee replacement in January.  We have exchanged cards every year. So i thought i would call her - haven't spoken with her since we lived in Victoria. She did not seem to know who I was or if she did , did not acknowledge it but kept her answers short and to the point and did not express any independent comments. I felt very awkward so ended the conversation quickly by wishing her well.  The same thing happened to me last year when I called a couple in Barrie ( we send cards every year - they lived across from us in Petawawa) after receiving their card with info about him having Alzheimers now. She was just as abrupt with my call as the one today was. So I ask myself, is my naive intention of offering support and comfort to people not welcome? So should I not bother anymore? Is there no longer any recognition for proffered social graces? Or am I just too old fashioned in thinking people will actually care?  
Now the good news..... I am reading Louise Penny's newest book received as a gift from Mike. It is going to be every bit as great as any of the others. I had to return the Jo Nesbo book I was reading today as it was due, but unfinished. But that's OK as I also received two PJ Tracy books and two Mark Pryor books so I am set for awhile.  Lots of good reading ahead for me.
Speaking of which, I must put the birds to bed and then jump in myself and continue with my reading. It feels good....Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment