Sunday, September 15, 2019

Strange weather

They had to stop hauling potatoes last week because of the rain, but none of it materialized here.  The forecast was for 25 - 35 mm on Thursday.  We didn't even get  1mm.  But the potato fields south of us did.  Jim expected to be at work on Saturday, since it had been basically dry for days, but it seems on Friday they got over 1/2 inch south of us.  He is back today, but with the forecast next week to be between 28 to 30C, with nighttime lows of 19c, they may have have to stop hauling because the potatoes are too hot!  I am glad I don't farm.  Too stressful.  I finally got my brush pile burned off.  It was over 6 feet tall and had at least 7 years of brush piled on it.  Lots of sorting and using the large clippers to trim the branches but it is done.  I think I filled the large fire pit about 9 or 10 times.  There was also about a foot of wet pine needles on the bottom of the pile.  They were still smoldering yesterday, but yesterday I told Jim I was done.  My body had shut down for the day.  I feel a bit better today, but my overused joints are still sore.  Today might be an inside day. (especially since the rec room appears to have a solid coat of dust and dog hair)  At least for the morning.  I still have some outside work to do.  Most of the garden is dead now, but we have not had a killing frost yet so Jim is hoping to get at least a couple of cucumbers off of his plants.  I have my fingers crossed for him.  I have some things to put away in the well shed (power cord and hose) today, and gather up the rest of the hoses.  I will keep one attached to the house for now, but it will go once it gets colder.   It is still too early in the morning to feed the dogs.  This getting up at 5:30 throws them off too.  They are used to getting fed soon after we get up, but I want to wait until at least 8am before they eat.  The sooner I get started to sooner I can sit outside and read a book.  Gotta do that while I can

No comments:

Post a Comment