Monday, August 3, 2020

in a funny mood today

Don't know why the date is bothering me, but I guess it goes back to all the years that the August long weekend meant a weekend at the cottage.  I've been thinking of it all weekend, even to the point of telling Gail about it on our daily phone call yesterday.  But, we've had nothing at all planned, and no outings all weekend (other than a trip to Starbucks.)

The day started early with the workers arriving next door at 7:30, to start working on the roof.  At the same time, there were fellows working on the roof of the garage in the yard kitty-corner to us near Munroe.  We had looked at this house when we were last house hunting, but David didn't want to be so close to Munroe.  I went in with the Realtor anyway, and he and I quickly agreed that it was certainly not what I had been looking for.  Still, it was a chance for him to actually see inside, inconsideration of any future jobs.  Shortly after it sold we heard that the foundation was in terrible shape, and that there was a $50,000 law suit against the seller. It was decided in favour of the purchaser and the seller promptly declared bankruptcy.  Pleading poverty ever since, the owner of the house has been unable to repair any part of the very decrepit garage, until now.  I have to wonder if they're considering selling the house again.

Early in the afternoon we moved outside to sit.  David read his book and I stitched "paper" to fabric for my new EPP project.  Probably a very much more relaxing afternoon than you've had lately, Beth!  Did you get Will moved?  It sounded like most of the heavy lifting would be between you and Will.  

In the studio I've been working on Postcards, and made three using water colour painting today.  It's been a long time since I did much of that, even with my "Peppers" that I did for the sketchbook course.  Two of the pieces turned out fairly well, and I'm pleased.  A third one went in the garbage.  There are five others done with collage yesterday.  I had planned them all for a project that may arise in one of my Facebook groups, but also with an eye toward maybe selling them.  Some old fibre postcards have sold well in the Gallery Gift Shop.  But when I took into consideration how much time each of them took, and the supplies I used, I would be giving them away if I charged less than about $12, and that's never going to happen.  So I'm content to  write it all up as contributing to my skill as an artist, and I actually believe that there's an element of truth in that.

Tonight I'm hoping for an episode of Antiques Roadshow, always remembering being there myself once.  Then maybe some poker.  I've sure not been very lucky at the poker lately, but I guess "Hope Springs Eternal----" etc.

Hope everyone has had a great holiday weekend, and sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment