Sunday, August 9, 2020

thunderstorm for us overnight but no rain

My blog is still coming up with the old format.  I guess I picked the revert button early on and now I will be here until the old format is gone.  I am slowly working my way through my garden.  I have pulled up the peas and beans now, which gives the cucumbers some more room.  I tried one of the dill pickles from the jar that didn't seal (it was in the fridge). It was the most putrid thing I have ever tasted.  I sure hope it is only that jar, cause if I have more like that they are all going into the trash.  Jim wants some pickled beets, but I no longer have a canner (the handle rusted off).  Could I put them in the oven for 20 minutes instead of the water bath?  At about 350F??  Otherwise I will just freeze them and make them with Auntie Lorrain's recipe when I cook them (Yum!)  Jim is also checking his straight eight cucumbers everyday.  He is waiting until he has about 8 really big and ripe ones so that I can make a batch of "pickle Relish".  I only have one jar of that left and I am saving it until I can make more.Other than that I am just waiting for the tomatoes to ripen so that I can get some salsa made, and some tomato sauce and tomato"junk" into the freezer.  I go through a lot of that during the winter.  And as for our own wine label (Catspit Estate?)  we seldom even get it into bottles.  It is usually one bottle at a time straight from the carboy.  I would like to have a selection on the shelves though.  I think I have about 3 red and 3 sweet bottles right now, and California White in the carboys. But then I have been having one or two glasses every evening while sitting on the patio.  It is starting to get dark earlier and that brings the mosquitoes out.  We don't often get them, but we had a lot of rain earlier (which is what caused the berm to give way and totally drain Park Lake) and that gave the mosquitoes damp places to breed.  My animal sitting is done for the weekend (everyone gets home today) so I don't have to leave home again for a while.  Unless Sam comes over to work and then I probably have to go to town for beer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment