Sunday, December 18, 2016

Musing about family celebrations

We, as a family, have been planning our Christmas dinner.  Yes, we'll all be together--very, very important.  And we will try to have a family toast at 6:00 Winnipeg time.  But it will be casual.  No-one seems to dress up a bit,  anymore.  Amber is without a dishwasher, so we will be using paper plates and paper dishes.  I understand why things are done this way.  But-I miss the excitement of deciding what to wear, or even the new item of clothing that we would get for Christmas and wear for dinner that day-most often to Auntie Lorraine's, where the table ran through the kitchen, and all the way to the front door.  I miss the opportunity to eat at a fancy dinner table, with silver, and good dishes,  maybe even Christmas crackers and stupid fancy hats?  What about the ritual of carving the turkey at the table?  We didn't do it often, but we did do it.  I remember the Christmas day that Cathy brought a harpist to dinner--in costume.  Not that this had anything to do with our traditional Christmas dinners, but it was a celebratory thing, that made the day special.  Ah well, guess I'm showing my age.  At the same time, I have to wonder what sort of family traditions my grandchildren will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment