Sunday, December 4, 2016

Pondering cleaning

I think there's two aspects about cleaning.  First, of course, is the pleasure and release of stress with having exerted physical control over some aspect of the environment in which you live.  We certainly don't all feel the same amount of stress, in relation to clutter or the need to complete routine jobs, but, at some point, the stress moves us to do something.  David has recently taken to watching "Hoarders: Buried Alive", and may be experiencing an increased need to "clean -up", in response to that.  I feel stress, given the clutter, but not always to the extent that I can find the energy to do something about it ( other than walk away).  e.g. I try to keep the kitchen under control, but as long as I can get around, and get the work done, usually I only put in a major effort once, or at most twice a day. ( and occasionally not every day)

The basement studio is another thing all together.  This time, the clean-up, was also energized by acknowledgement, both mentally and emotionally, that there are some things that I will not (can not-or no longer physically capable of??) ever do again in this lifetime.  e.g., I have held onto the cross stitch embroidery for many, many years in hopes that the physical ability would come back.  It was the least physically demanding hand embroidery that I did.

The emotional acknowledgement that I can no longer do things was by far the biggest component of the cleaning frenzy I just went through.  That had to exist in conjunction with the physical ability to perform the task, and a component of that is also emotional,  e.g willingness to perform.

I think that I'm trying to say that this was a "cleansing" in every sense of the word.   Some of it was also symbolic, and that may be at a deeper level than the physical act.

Boy, can you tell that I didn't sleep well last night?  Today, the big thing is the luncheon with my ATC friends.  Of course it's snowing, just to challenge my driving that little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment