Friday, January 5, 2018

dieting incentive

I appear to be just about over my cold.  Sleeping better, more energy, but still stuffed up more than I like. With the cold weather, the studio "to do" list is getting done fairly quickly. But I'm also trying to keep myself busier, and more active, as I went back to phase 1 of my eating regime on Tuesday.  I am attempting to make it more challenging and interesting by making sure that I give all of the recipes a good try.  It's probably pure laziness that makes me go back, so much, to my favourites, and the ones I have memorized.  Also, every time I re-read portions of the book, something new catches my eye.  I had never really looked at substitutions before, as nothing in the diet bothers my allergies.  But I did find, this time, that tofu in recipes can be substituted with egg.  I've also recently fallen in love with roasted chick peas, as well as an organic hummus that I found in Costco.  So I no longer wrestle with my blender to make it the hummus, but use little portion packs.  Additionally, on the news the other day, they were discussing spinach, and the difference between cooking it and eating it raw. Both are good, but cooking it releases a different proportion of nutrients, than eating it raw. 

So--this morning I ate the spinach scramble you speak of, Beth. Never be one of my favourites, but much improved with a light dusting of salt.

So far, I'm doing well.  No indulgences, and I'm going to avoid that as much as I can, as I've learned that the first bite is certainly the thin edge of the wedge for me. I felt great getting out of Bulk Barn yesterday without a licorice bar. So-o-o, I've promised myself that once I get under my previous low, I'm going to buy a new pair of trousers.  The black ones I use for better wear are getting quite faded, and really do need replacing.  

We went to Walmart this week, and had time waiting for prescriptions to be filled.  I found myself a very nice T-shirt, and long sleeved pull-over sweater, both for less than $12, and both in shades of purple.  The T-shirt actually came in at $2.  I've been wearing it today, and am surprised at how comfortable and warm it is.  David picked up a couple of new pair of sweats--not before they were needed.

Cathy, our bodies tell us when we need to slow down.  Give yourself the time you need to get your strength up--and expect that it'll take longer, at our advanced years.  Also, we all need to remember that this is the time of year that SAD looms on the horizon, and we're all susceptible. Time to spoil ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment