Saturday, January 27, 2018

Not a good day

Just one of those days when nothing works out as it should.  Unfortunately, I can't blame the woman in red.

First thing this morning we re-arranged the upstairs studio so I could start machine quilting my hexie quilt. Despite my enthusiasm ( not!) nothing worked out as it should.  I started with black specialty thread on top and and a dark grey bobbin thread.  I will often use slightly different colours, so I'm able to tell the top thread and bobbin thread apart.  I decided to use black on top, as this is what worked best in hand stitching the hexies.  Well, my machine doesn't like the top thread, and fought every inch of the way, breaking and snarling. This is also the largest quilt I've ever attempted to quilt on my machine.  Not an easy thing for me to do, and very awkward. ( Yay for long armers!)After an hour, I accepted that the workmanship was never going to be good enough to enter into a judged competition-my ultimate goal. A disappointment, but this allowed me to accept the level of work being done, and relax.  I took breaks, and worked very slowly.  Finally, I changed the upper thread to a basic 50wt cotton poly blend.  That problem solved. After about 4 hours work, I had about 25% of the quilting done. Now I've quit for the day.

But I had wanted pictures of me working, to put on the other blog.  Got one, and then the camera says the batteries need charging.  David goes to get the battery charger out of the dresser, and the whole drawer falls out and breaks.  He's now trying to fix it.    I bought the dresser, when we were living in Edmonton, 43 years ago, while he was in Cyprus.  It doesn't owe us anything. and he's never really liked it.  Not sure where this issue will end up.

For several weeks we've been having trouble with our tv remote.  David finally decided to do something about it, and phoned the Shaw Cable help line. After waiting, and a call back, he spoke to someone but said the line was so bad that he couldn't hear anything and gave up.  It's very cold today, and snowing as well, despite this  he had went to the mall to get help.  He came home with a new remote, which had to be programmed.  First step--make sure the tv is on.  Well, of course it's not on, and the old remote had been turne din.  Now lately, on Saturday night I've been watching tv most of the evening, and I was visualizing trying to amuse myself without it. So onto Shaw Cable help line again, another long wait and call back.  I could hear them talking, and recognized that David was having some sort of problem.  But he had found the original remote that went with the tv, when we first bought it. Thank Goodness, as we could never have solved the problem with out it. Still, there was an issue with the actual programming of the new remote. After a bit David put me on the line, and we got the problem solved. 

So we're both now tired, and frustrated, and it's not yet time to think about supper.  I hear crackers and raisins calling my name.  Ar-g-g-g-h!

No comments:

Post a Comment