Sunday, November 11, 2018

An opportunity seized...

Here is a nice story:
As part of all Remembrance Day Ceremonies, there were additional events planned all over - that being, the ringing of the bells. There is one church in Sundridge that still has a working bell - the Presbyterian Church. The appointed time was officially to be 4:49 pm at which time the bell was to be rung 100 times in honour of the World War I armistice 100 years ago.
I wanted to hear the bell so at 4:30 I walked down to the church. People were assembling at the United Church a few doors down to partake in hearing the ringing, and also at the Presbyterian Church where they had signed up to be a bell ringer.  I went to the Presbyterian Church and walked on in - never been in there before, and saw a few people I knew and they recognized me and many I did not know.  At the appointed time, they started to do the ringing each pulling the rope a few times until near the end and I was summoned over to take my turn. I protested at first but then said to myself, "why not" so up I went and tugged twice on the rope and then turned it over to the last person to ring it. There was someone counting the rings so that there were exactly 100 rings made.  Then I left and walked back home.
So a nice story for me and I felt great, that I had gone and seized an opportunity and had done something. It is amazing how you can lift your spirits in the smallest, strangest ways if only you open yourself up to seizing the opportunity.  Pati, I think you have spread your wisdom a little bit and I feel grateful for that!  XX

No comments:

Post a Comment