Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Fruit cake (?loaf?)

We decided to actually make the fruit cake from the flyer.  We figured that if you, Beth, and Harry, were confident that your cake could age well enough, if baked now, we would be okay.  So off to Bulk Barn for the rest of the supplies.  Unfortunately, I didn't take the recipe with me, so missed one ingredient, but with the time involved in chopping the apricots, and softening them, one of us should be able to hit the store, in the morning, so no delays.  This whole baking incentive was to supply goodies for the craft show, but I've now found out that one participant has a very strong allergic reaction if there are any nuts even in the room.  But I've bought all this stuff!!  So I will offer to make dessert for our Christmas dinner, and hope the kids agree.  Then everyone will be sent home with a goody bag.

Unfortunately both the craft show participants, and the family have requested Melting Moments.  Darn!  It's a little early to make them, but I will start the other things tomorrow, and see how far I get.

The trip to Bulk Barn was a hoot.  The place was a "zoo".  It's been some time since I saw so many old woman in one place all at the same time.  All of us were pushing carts, and we were all looking for the same things.  I guess everyone feels the need to address Christmas baking, with the end of November looming.  The line up to pay was across the store and down one aisle.  All of the cash registers were humming, (never seen that before) and there quite a few extra (seasonal?) staff wandering around.  Some of them looked as bewildered as the customers.  As an added incentive to shop, it was 10% off for seniors, to day.

The last couple of day, I've also noticed that a few of "do every few weeks" housekeeping tasks are indicating that the time has come.  Not a welcome thought. 

My rubber stamp snowflakes are finished, and today I did the stamping on one potential quilt top.  Worked very well.  Then, in my hurry to clean up, I forgot for a minute that I had backed them with illustration Board, which is a very dense form of card stock,(very, very dense).  As I was washing them, I realized that, perhaps, I shouldn't have soaked them in hot water?  I think they're going to dry okay.  I wanted to use them for another design I have in mind, and was thinking about the 5 days it took to make them.

So a lot to do over the next little while.  Can't say I'm looking forward to chopping those apricots.

No comments:

Post a Comment