Wednesday, January 30, 2019

I went to a talk about mental health

I think I mentioned in previous post that a friend was giving a talk about how mental health issues within her family had influenced her art.  I wasn't sure about going, with it being so cold, and with my having seen some of her work before.  But I did go.  It turned out to be a popular event with standing room only.  I saw many more pieces than I had seen before, and she spoke about which of her emotions each one represented, and how the subject matter and colours used reflected that emotion.  It always amazes me how different artists progress from a vague idea to a finished project.  Cathie puts a tremendous amount of time and energy into preparing to make her pieces, and actually putting them together.  Not really my way of working at all.

But I've been struggling with my work lately, as you may have guessed from the other blog.  The smaller works I have made for years are now very passe.  Seeing my small piece in the exhibition on the walls of the room Cathie's talk took place showed me that.  I have to think about this some more, but it's at the back of my mind every day.

Given that it was Bell's Let's Talk Day, Loren posted a comment on Facebook that really bothered me.  I feel as if I missed something when he was young, that I should have seen.  It's been on my mind all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment