Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Shopping in the "Great White North"

We did okay, but it was brutal out there.  Before we left we bundled up.  We have always used a couple of old polo pajamas bottoms as long johns.  So I put them on and headed for the kitchen, neglecting to put jeans over top of them.  Talk about operating on "automatic pilot!  There sure wasn't much traffic on the streets, nor in the grocery store.  I used a pair of fluffy gloves, and then the pair of mitts that Mrs. Pearce knitted.  Don't wear them often but they sure worked this time.

It's hard to keep the house warm as well, and we're both wearing extra jackets and sweaters.  The basement is the warmest place in the house, for some reason.  It was a relief to get home, and I was looking forward to staying home tomorrow and Thursday, as it's supposed to warm up a bit for Friday.  But David has been talking about a toothache for a couple of days. Today he called the dentist and got an appointment for tomorrow afternoon!  So off we go again.  And there's that talk by my friend Cathie tomorrow evening.   I was talking to her yesterday and she's quite excited about it.  I still haven't made a firm decision about going.

I've been thinking about family norms.  When I spoke to Cathie, she mentioned her "crazy family".  Using just those two words.  I've also had a couple of conversations with my friend Gail this week about her crazy family, who really are crazy, and have a layer of off beat religion to them as well.  Every family has an element of "Different" to it and each family tends to normalize the activity within the confines of the family.  They are think of it as normal, while an outsider would classify them as really weird.  I sometimes see an element of that in my nuclear family where we just accept as that's the way things are, and then we carry on.  I wonder how we look to an outsider.

And that's my thought for the day.  Back to playing poker, which is itself a whole bunch of weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment