Thursday, August 29, 2019

If it weren't for bad luck----

A crazy day.  Fall is fast approaching, and leaves are falling more and more all the time.  I really wanted to try my eco-printing once ore, so decided that if it weren't done today, it would be too late.  A quick breakfast and I was out gathering leaves from all over the neighbourhood, with my white wicker basket over my arm and and my clippers at hand. ( wonder what the neighbours think--don't care) Got two bundles tied up--a little looser than the last time--and set up my "cauldron" ( canner) on the stove with the timer set for two hours.  Turned around and there was David cutting up the ribs we bought to make Daddy's rib recipe.  Now, I believe that it isn't a good idea to mix utensils used in my crazy stuff with cooking utensils, but this time I was really caught between a  rock and a hard place.  Then we discovered that we had no onions, so David headed off to the store and suddenly I was making B-B-Q ribs.  A bit of a juggling act until I could get the ribs into the oven, to brown off, then to  in the sauce, that had been cooked on top of the stove (along with the cauldron of eco-printing), and then into the slow cooker. Unfortunately, despite my best effort, this printing didn't turn out much better than the one last week.  Out of 5 bundles of printing I got one really good print and a lot of marginal prints.  The special fabric I use isn't cheap, and I don't think I want to pursue this again.  I have enough coloured fabric, if not printed fabric,  to make a hanging, and that's what I was aiming for, so that's it.

Later, when I was finally able to get down into the studio, I discovered that one of the fluorescent lights was out.  Unfortunately, when we tried to fix it, the actual fixture broke.  This means getting an electrician in to replace it, and we both have a hunch that it isn't replaceable in the same size.  Ka-a-aching!

I don't know if I mentioned that the squirrel(s) have found that earth in the flower gardens that has been dug up and weeded is really good for digging very deep holes in. Anytime David sees this, he patiently goes out and fills them in, but we mentioned to each other, in passing, that it is the nature of squirrels to dig holes in the fall to bury seeds.  We've had a lot ( a lot!) of rain lately and haven't been out in the garden, but this morning when I was searching for leaves I noticed what I thought were sunflowers sprouting in the garden with the Lady Slippers.  Yep!  A whole bunch of Sunflowers almost 8 inches high.  So, David has patiently weeded those out as well.

Last evening, just before bed, I watched Lat Homely House, and heard her refer to a series of videos where she described the process of making a journal, so I searched them out.  I was quite interested, but her description of the process was so painfully detailed repetitive and slow, that I couldn't finish any one of the four.  I do plan to go back, and find my way directly to the description of the stitching of the thing together, but I don't think I'm going to be making any journals her way.

And now we're both exhausted after a busy day, so I wish you well, and look forward to hearing form you both again.

No comments:

Post a Comment