Saturday, August 24, 2019

The best of times and the worst of times

We all go through them. Sometimes I find it easiest to step back and observe my own reaction to such things. I observe that physical decline does not occur in a gradual slope, but rather in a stair step manner.  Or is it that we aren't aware of the decline until something happens that makes us aware.  Both David and I had appointments with the prothetist for fittings of our leg braces Thursday morning. I also took the opportunity to replace a couple of the new fabrics I've been working my way through, since we were in the area.  There were a few physical issues, and a few contentious decisions to be made. By the time we got home, I didn't want to see or talk to anyone.  I was in a stinky mood for the rest of the day, and that turned into a bad case of the blues.  So Friday was spent in a lot of negative soul searching.  Do you know how exhausting something like that is?  At the same time, getting to sleep once you're in bed becomes an issue all of it's own.

A whole separate issue, but adding to the blue mood, was that tomorrow (Sunday) is turnover day at the both the Gallery and the Gift shop in Selkirk.  My friend Gail is a vendor at The Morden Corn and Apple Festival all weekend, so I agreed to pick up and then delivery her gift shop items--and she has a lot of them! She sent an e-mail say that she would deliver them to me at 7:00 this morning on her way out to Morden.  I didn't get to bed until almost 1:00 but set my alarm for 6:15 by mistake instead of 6:30, and was up, dressed and sitting in the kitchen waiting for her by 6:30.  The door was open and the outside light was on, and I sat by the door reading the paper.  Come 7:30, I was getting a little po'd with her, and opened my computer to send an e-mail (knowing she would receive it on her phone)asking what was going on.  There was an incoming e-mail from her saying that she hadn't wanted to wake me, so had left her stuff outside the back door. It had been sent at 5:58.  I sent a reply and got a response with great apologies.  She had meant that she had to be out in Morden at 7:00.  I will forgive her, as her Mother has been very ill, and I know what a strain it has been on her, but I must confess to really being annoyed.  I undressed and went back to bed just before 8, and slept until noon. After getting back from coffee and Staples, I spent the rest of the afternoon getting all of my stuff ready to go to Selkirk tomorrow.  Turned out to be a lot more work than I had thought, but it's done.

After I got up, I mentioned that I would like to go to Staples today as I need to do a little printing, just a couple of pages. Well David really questioned me about that  and I reminded him that I hadn't been able to print  off our computers since he bought and installed the new printer, as it wouldn't communicate with either of our computers.  Prior to that I had to send everything to his computer by e-mail, so that I could print from there, as the printer had never communicated with mine.  A bit of an annoyance, as I do most of my computer work in the kitchen.  So he has spent most of today at Best Buy trying to get his computer set up with our printer so that we can print here.  Turned out that we needed a new printer, that the previous "new" one was totally the wrong one for our set-up.    But they refunded the money, and sold him a less expensive model that they assured him was compatible.  The difference in price was put toward paying the Geek Squad guy to install it.  Turns out we needed an upgraded internet modem from Shaw, and David didn't make it to the store in time, so will have to do that tomorrow.  But both of our computers should be good to go, once that is set up.

So now it's after 7:00, and David is just getting his supper.  He has two football games to watch this evening, but my regular tv programs are not on, because of a PBS Pledge break.  I wonder if I can work off some of the blues cutting fabric?  At this point both of us are too tired to argue!  A Good Thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment