Monday, July 18, 2016

May all your troubles.....

....from now on be about little "pigs"  haha  You will most certainly find a place of honour - and won't "Pig" be thrilled with new digs!

Now here is a tale of woe... about me, and my stupidity, and my shame at being 'had". It's all about eave troughs.  Last Monday I phoned the business Dr Eavestrough and left a detailed message on vm enquiring about installation. On Tuesday afternoon a man came knocking on the door. I can hardly remember the conversation but I am sure he said something about eaves trough but that could just be my recollection of the scene in retrospect. I asked if his name was Nick (owner of business) but he said, "no I'm John". He looked at the front of house where water has played it's toll around the bricks, and asked to see the basement for leakage. I said no. At the back he looked up and asked if we had water inside around the ceiling areas that would indicate leaking - he asked to go in and check, and I said no. Then he looked around the rain barrels and said Harry wouldn't have to move them, that they could work around. He asked if I wanted them to be brown and I said yes. Then he said that they would work out an estimate and someone would get back "in a day or two"  As he was leaving he said that they had got their signals crossed and that if anyone else came by to just say that John was already here.  It seemed odd (after the fact thinking about it) that at no time were measurements taken, nor did he write anything down. And I did not hear anything since. I was starting to get upset with the company. I phoned the company this morning and spoke with Nick the owner. As I was laying out my story and asking why I had not heard back, he became very upset. Long story short - he did not initiate this man, and knew nothing about it. He felt I had been a victim of a fraudulent act, and suggested that if this man came to the door again, to call the police. He said he wanted to personally come to the house and we arranged for a 2:30 pm appointment this afternoon. At 2;30 exactly he drove up. I asked him "Who are you" and with a smile he introduced himself appropriately and showed me all his paperwork, and equipment in his arms ie measuring tapes etc.  The estimate was done, questions asked and answered, and arrangements made for the work to be done in two weeks.
Now, please do not feel too badly for me.  I believe, again with much reflection, I contributed to this situation. It was too much of a coincidence to have a street peddler ( actually probably casing the joint likely) come at the exact moment I anticipated someone from the company to come. The owner, Nick, still very concerned, asked if I had asked for other quotes, or spoken to anyone about getting a quote but I had not. 
However, I continue to feel a dull ache in my stomach still thinking about it now, and wonder how I could have been so taken in. I feel violated. I share this with you so that I can try to feel a bit better - you know, "to get it off our chest".
So now for my Nighty Night cup of tea and finish my book from the library.  

No comments:

Post a Comment