Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Late night musings on life and old age

David has gone to bed, and I'm indulging myself with a glass of wine.  We've talked about not making anymore, as we're drinking so little now.  David always has his Crown Royal, if he feels the need, but I haven't had anything stronger than wine in the house for almost two years.

We got a phone call today, asking us to return to the neurology clinic at St. Boniface as "the doctor wants to discuss test results".  We had been told that there would be no need to go back unless something turned up on the EEG, so I'm obviously a little concerned.  Thus the need for a bit of wine to help me sleep.  At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

We have appeared to have reached that stage in life when all of the appliances need replacing. We replaced the dish washer when we did the kitchen a year ago ( almost to the day!) I mentioned replacing our washing machine, a couple of months ago.  Last week it was the toaster, and today the microwave gave up the ghost.  The final straw, however, was the garbage can from under the kitchen sink.  We bought that when we moved in 19 years ago ( almost to the day--June 29, 1999.  It had lost its lid years ago, and the separate rim that holds the plastic bag in place has been broken for some time.  Today, in Walmart, I saw one that I thought would fit--and it does.  We also replaced the compost pail, this week, although that was more by choice.  The previous one cracked and we replaced it, two years ago, and then were told, while paying for the new one, that we could have brought the old one back and had it replaced for nothing. Well, as soon as we got home, didn't David turn around and take it back, for replacement.  It's been sitting in the garage waiting for its turn ever since.  Monday we did the switch, to give me a good pail for use while painting in the yard, and a new one for use in the kitchen.

Re: "Wonder Woman":  I've been thinking about the movie.  A lot of violence, and a so-so plot.  I enjoyed myself, but found my mind wandering during many of the fight scenes.  I kept thinking about the special effects, and the period costuming, feeling amazement at the cost of producing both.  That wouldn't have happened if the plot had been more interesting.  But I would certainly go to see another one, should it be made.  I also saw a poster for " The Kingsman: The Golden Circle",  Coming Soon.  Now that one I'll be sure to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment