Friday, June 30, 2017

The chaos continues

I didn't sleep well last night.  Was awake about 2:00, and spent the next 4 hours trying to get back to sleep.  I tried everything, including 3 half sections of an otc sleep aid at intervals,( the recommended dose is two whole pills, so I didn't over-use them), herbal tea, add a quilt, remove a quilt, Voltaren on my sore knees.  The whole gamut of efforts.  I think I finally drifted off between 6:30 and 7:00. AT 9:05 the phone rings-a wrong number.  Into the bathroom, my heart still racing, and the sore knee screaming at me, as I guess I moved the wrong way answering the phone.  Just sit down and the doorbell rings.  Grab my housecoat and run.  Not the back door, must be the front.  Yes--it's Poulin's.  Can he come in and do a bit of paperwork before he starts?  Can you give me 5 minutes to get dressed first?  Run for clean clothing, even though I was going to have a bath first thing.  Okay.  In he comes and I sign the paperwork. He asks to use the bathroom.  Quick thinking. Did I flush? Yes.  David shows up.  The phone rings.  It's the pharmacy.  The doctor has faxed a new prescription, and it's ready for pick-up.  Funny noise from the bathroom.  He comes out and tells me that he took it upon himself to close the window.  Then he and David have to play musical vehicles as he needs to get his truck in the yard and David needs to get our car on the street for a fast getaway.

David heads out to buy gas, and pick up his pills, while I get the laundry started and have my shower. ( David has had his by this time.)  I was to have picked up my piece in Selkirk today, and we needed to get away from the bug spray, so off we go-construction most of the way to hwy 44.  Pick up the piece, and have a long chat with a visitor to the gallery, who is interested in fibre.  My friend Val shows up to pick up her work, and I gladly hand the visitor onto her for further conversation.

An idea!  If the microwaves are sold out at the Walmart in Winnipeg, might there still be some at the Walmart in Selkirk?  Yes!  Oh what a glorious day!  Exactly the same make and model as the last one, so no need for anyone to learn a whole new control panel.  

I have also been looking for light weight, compressible curtain rods.  I think they're sometimes called "cafe" rods.  This is what is being asked for for exhibiting fibre panels, and they are much less work and cost than the dowels and finials that I've used in the past.  They are becoming very hard to find, especially the smaller ones that compress down to 12".  I am also looking for some that are in the 16" to 24" range.  They are no longer sold at Walmart, nor Canadian Tire, and it's been suggested that I look in smaller old-fashioned hardware stores in more rural areas.  Do such things even exist anymore?  If either of you stumble across any, I would gladly pay to have them sent this way.  On our way home we dropped into Sears.  I wanted to stock up on glass cook top cleaner, and David suggested I look for the curtain rods there. I did find several in longer lengths 36" and up, and grabbed them, but none of the shorter ones.  And, of course, these were on clearance, and there won't be any more coming in.

And then it was home, where the laundry and power cooking await.  Wait, we need to thaw some veggies in the microwave to use in the power cooking.  Whoops!  The control panel may look the same, but it doesn't work the same.  So I'm still having to read the manual.  Crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment