Monday, October 15, 2018

Damn endless wet snow

Stupid stuff falls lot, then eases off, and then falls some more.  It's still melting during the day, but this makes for cold, damp, miserable weather.

I don't remember whether I had mentioned that David's sister had dropped in for a lengthy visit, with lots of pleasant tea and conversation, last week.  She mentioned that she was worried about her daughter, who is, and has, experienced multiple health issues over the past few years.  ( Not her step-daughter who is also in poor health, and a constant concern) We talked about many things, but at one point discussed how to cook a turkey.  All of us agreed that we don't really care for turkey left-overs as they're usually too dry to do much with.  She told us about another relative who always has nice turkey, and cooks them in a "baking bag".   I had heard of such things, but knew nothing about them.  So--we bought some and cooked a turkey in one, yesterday.  ("Look" brand "oven bags", if you're interested.  Found them on a shelf with things like plastic wrap and Zip Loc Bags, at the grocery.)  The meat was moister, but I can't say that it was more tender--or we might have found a tough old bird.  We had bought it, cheap, at Walmart, and it could have come from anywhere.  But it was cooked more quickly, and there was very little mess.  The skin was nicely browned, and crisp.  I think I might do it again, and even try it with other meats or vegetables.

David and Loren enjoyed their football game.  They had both dressed well, and enjoyed warm beverages there.  They found out that there is a fleet of school buses, also leaving from the shopping center, in which no standing passengers are allowed.  It costs a couple of bucks more, but both of them felt it was well worth it.

I saw my friend Carolyn, yesterday.  It's been years since we managed to get together.   She was teaching a needlework class, close by, and I had arranged to drop in late on the second day.  By this time, everyone was pretty tired, and no real work was getting done.  This was an especially nice treat for me, as I knew most of the ladies there, from my days as a hand stitcher.  We all took a few minutes to chat, and catch up a bit. There was even one lady who had flown in from Alberta to take the class. We had met many years ago, and I didn't recognize her until she told me her name.  

I hope your venture into the unknown turns out to be worthwhile, Beth.  I believe that we all need time with other women, to keep us on an even keel. Tomorrow, a couple of friends are coming over to spend the afternoon stitching.  These are the ladies you met when you were here, Beth. This means frantic house cleaning, as always.  But if it weren't for such visits, the house would probably never get cleaned.  There are so many more interesting things to so--like playing Candy Crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment