Friday, October 5, 2018

There is one good thing about this time of year

There are some serious sales at the grocery store. We usually drop in, as David likes to scan his Air Miles card for the draws during the football games.  Yesterday we scored a small turkey for $0.99/lb.  Don't very often see them for that price anymore.  Today we needed to stop in for something small, and scored another turkey at the same price, as well as a small prime rib roast for $5.99/lb.  So now we've put a serious dent in the food budget for the month, but--oh my--will we ever eat well. The cold, wet, nasty weather continues.  The man on the radio says that, by the time we get back to seasonal temperatures, it will probably be November, and those seasonal temps we really don't want.  David is hoping to get to the football game next Saturday, with Loren.  I have no idea what he might have available to wear, if it stays this cold.  He's talking about buying a Blue Bomber tuque, and I think it's only right that he treat himself.

Some of the older food in the freezer is getting almost too old.  Today I pulled out the last of the pork ribs that we cooked and froze months ago.  I made some of Daddy's B-B-Q sauce, but only a single recipe.  I can't remember the last time I made such a small amount.  I was purposefully careful about measuring amounts, and was surprised how much two tbsp of Lee and Perrins was, but put it in.  Guess I haven't been using enough when I double or triple the recipe--it turned out much hotter than we remembered.  Good though.   It looks like we are celebrating tomorrow, as well.  We have a chicken that must be used, especially as we now need room for turkeys.

The other neat thing about the ribs was that I used my purple pig pot ( say that three times fast!) to bake them in.  When I bought it, I ever thought it would ever be used.  What a nice surprise.  Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment