Sunday, March 1, 2020

A decision

but only a small one.  Today, I'm still a little under the weather, but decided to go and check the work I was doing in the studio yesterday.  Sometimes when I think there has been a major issue, it looks much better after a good night's sleep, and not worth any further worry.  But I did discover that I hadn't been using my "slider'.  this is just a piece of plastic that fits over my sewing machine to minimize friction and "drag" when I'm working, especially when doing free motion work.  I put it on and tried a bit more and had no problem.  My work was just about the best I've done on this piece.  But also came the revelation that I'm very dependent on the "slider", and do I want to be dependent on a piece of equipment, as insignificant as that really is.

But "no"!  If this makes it so that I can do the work I want to do and do it well, then I will use it faithfully.  This took a bit of thought before I could verbalize accepting that need--it was a carefully thought out decision, but one I'm comfortable with.

I love my new gloves.  The beige pair go well with my fur coat.  Both pair appear to be hand knit wool, but my allergy to wool isn't a problem, as they are fully lined with fleece.  It's a little late in the season to find them, but I will be keeping them safe until next fall.

This evening, I took a look in a decorative chest I keep on a table in the living room.  I figured that there was something in it, but I wasn't sure what.  I found a mushroom shaped pin cushion very similar to the big one you gave me, Cathy, and then had a vague recollection that they might have been a pair.  There were two needle cases and several packages of needles.  Now, needles have been an issue ever since I started my "purging".  I'm finding the beasts everywhere, and they usually come in packages.  The packages tell me that the needles are good ones, and that I paid a bit for them, at some time in the distant past, when I was doing much more in the way of hand stitching.  I have a zipper pouch full of them, and don't need any more.  Nor will I ever need any more.  So, for the most part I'm pitching them out--in a sharps container, of course.  There's always a good use for old pill bottles, and people our  age always have empty pill bottles.

Tonight I made Daddy's "Seven Layer Dinner", or as it's sometimes known, "Ship wreck".  We bought potatoes while we were out for coffee today, but didn't buy an onion, as there was one in the pantry.  Well, that one proved to be rotten, and we weren't going out again ( It is snowing and windy), but, I did have a partial container of French Fried onions, so put a layer of that in, and then sprinkled some on top during the last 20 minutes of cooking, when the lid is off.  The dish tasted great but the texture was entirely changed.  Not better or worse, but different--much thicker.  I may try this again sometime, or I might not.  we'll see.

However, I've now had my shower, and have just about enough time for a poker tournament before bed.  Have a good week, ladies.


No comments:

Post a Comment