Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Plants

Pati here
We really do get attached to these plants, don't we? It is such a joy when they take off. I think of David and his Lady Slippers. He seems to have the same sort of attachment to the Christmas Cactus. And now I'm becoming emotionally involved with my Hellebore. I even see the same sort of thing starting to develop in Amber, where she is noticing things in the garden and worrying about them. She took some Lily of the Valley from our yard to plant in hers. This is the Lily of the Valley that I took--originally--from the house on Maplewood. Our rhubarb came from Maplewood , as well.

We have other worries this morning. Our kitchen drains are totally plugged. We spent last night watching Liquid Plumber try to work, but this morning David acknowledges that we may have to call a plumber. I hope he doesn't put it off too long--we have a big weekend planned.

The whole thing makes me think about life. We're finally--after 43 years--in a position to start to save some money. We've been trying since April, and now have a little in the bank (read very little--probably enough to pay a plumber--I hope) Our plans are to have enough that we might be able to pay cash (mostly cash?) for a new car--maybe in a couple of years. Or that we might be able to get away during the winter for a couple of weeks. Not going to happen at this rate. So, my question is, have we made a mistake in living well? We haven't lived extravagantly, but we've lived up to our income. Our children know that there will be no huge estate when we go. About a year ago, when thinking about my life, I said that, while I've done some stupid things, my only real regret is that I didn't spend more time with my children when they were young. I've also acknowledged that, if I had been a "stay-at-home Mom", I probably would have murdered both of them. Well, we can't change the past, so I'll go back to enjoying one day at a time--even if I have to make my coffee in the bathroom today.

No comments:

Post a Comment