Thursday, September 22, 2011

4 lane highway

As of this morning, the major highway from south to north, Highway #11, no longer runs through the centre of the Village of Sundridge. The majority of the traffic is now travelling along the new four lane route just opened,  that bypasses the village. I took the dog for a walk after supper up to the old highway and what a difference not to see constant flow of transports and other usual types of vehicles. I expect the noise level will also diminish as most nights I could hear the transports but the new four lane is to the north of us now and a fair distance away. There are businesses in town who will no doubt suffer from lack of drive by customers ie restaurants, gas station etc. I noticed that the chip truck vacated its location but that could also be just because the summer is over but it got a lot of drive bys. I got my hair done and it looks good, but it was a bit of a farce. As she completed wrapping half the head up in the curlers, she suddenly went into her store room and came back to say she had no boxes of perms in stock. OK, I thought, this is a bit strange but lets just see what happens!  She then tells me she'll be right back as she was going to run over to another hairdressers just around the corner to see if she had a box she could have. She left me sitting all along in her store with half my head done up. I thought if she couldn't get any, maybe I would just have a hair cut and that would satisfy my need for a change. But in she comes about ten minutes later with a box in her hand and saying "I got one, but it is organic and I've never used one of those before..." and out comes the printed paper instructions and she begins to read it out loud to me. Long story short, it worked just fine, but the smell was almost unbearable – similar to rotten potatoes. She flitted between me and two men haircuts and another lady haircut, but my times to sit with solutions etc were accurate, and everything seemed OK. I just thought it was a weird sort of afternoon. Maybe a nice break from the mundane????
 

No comments:

Post a Comment