Friday, September 2, 2011

Salsa

This is the recipe that Rrain uses. She reduces the Jalapenos and adds garlic. It can be adjusted at will. This recipe makes about 20 8 oz jelly jars.

4 quarts tomatoes peeled & chopped
1 qt onions chopped
2 c celery chopped
1 1/2 c green peppers chopped
1 1/2 red peppers chopped
6 jalapeno peppers, chopped...... WEAR RUBBER GLOVES TO CHOP
1 tbsp pickling salt
1 1/2 c vinegar
4, 5 1/2 oz cans fo tomato paste
2 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
1 tsp cayenne
1/2 c white sugar

Bring to a boil, reduce 45 - 60 minutes
pack in jars and let seal

I had lots of ambitious plans for this evening (eg vacuuming, washing jars, etc) I think I will sit and read a book. Rrain & I will pick up some supplies tomorrow and can and freeze stuff this weekend. I have a bit of corn (not much) and lots of carrots and beets. We will use the tomatoes in salsa and tomato sauce. We may even take some girl time and soak in the hot tub with Kristy. My first week is over. The next two will, be harder as we lost our summer student today, and Mallorie is still away next week. The week after that Patty is gone and that means I get to do 3 entire jobs all by myself. I figure that if I fall behind there is nothing they can do about it unless they do the work themselves. There is a chance (very faint) chance that we may be able to advertise for a term position in our office. Even if that happens it will be next year before it is filled. Patty and I have decided not to bust ourselves to keep up. We will never get help if they don't think we need it. I am grateful that it is a long weekend and that my daughter and I will have time together to do things.


No comments:

Post a Comment