Monday, September 26, 2011

wonderful weekend

Attended a two-day embroidery workshop and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Worked very hard as well.  This body just isn't used to working that hard two days straight! David got a lot of the yard work done while I was there, so we're just about ready for winter from that perspective--but certainly not looking forward to it!  The class was interesting from several viewpoints.  The teacher was a gentleman embroiderer and Haut Couture fashion designer, from France, who spoke no English.  The second day he came in, went up to each English person individually and said "Good Morning.  How are you?"  He has been involved in a year-long project to produce a limited fashion line of contemporary winter garments that reflect the traditions of both the Abroiginal and Metis people, as well as the traditional embroideries of the area of France in which he lives.  He designed the garments, and then much of embroidery and beading was done by Manitoba artists, such as my friend Carol James.  The pieces are on exhibition in Winnipeg now, and he was here for opening cermonies and receptions etc associated with the exhibit.
Anyway,  we participants talked amongst ourselves and worked out all of the "degrees of separation" between us.  Everyone knows that Winnipeg is a very incestuous town, and we sure proved it! Two degrees--max! First time I've been in a class working with a translator.  It actually worked well!

The translator, over the two days, wore two jackets that had been custom made for her, locally.  They were hand-made, wet process, felted wool.  I know of the process, but had never seen anything like this.  They were beautiful!  Delicate colours melded through the process, with silk fibres added.  Each piece of the garment had been individually madeto size and shape.  Absolutely marvellous!

Today we bought a new printer and David set it up.  I got in a bit of a panic when I realized that I had no way of printing off my boarding pass for Friday.  We've learned over time not to try to work on that sort of job together, but there were problems.  So we ended up using a cable to connect it to the desk top instead of setting it up for wireless.  We had really wanted the wireless so that I could print from the basement.  No good for now, but at least, we can print.   When we save a bit of $$$ we'll maybe have to get someone in to set it up for us.  The problem appears to be that we have no idea what our "password" for the wireless might be.  I guess it wasn't written down when the fellow set the system up for us. 

Cathy, we will be wanting a bit more poultry than last year.  Maybe 5 turkeys and 8 large chickens.  I asked Amber if she wanted any, because we had talked about it, but she hasn't gotten back to me with any numbers, so don't worry about her.  Loren might have wanted a couple of chickens, but doesn't have a freezer! Besides which, his daughter is now talking about becoming a vegetarian--as all teenage girls do.

So now to take this very tired body to bed.  It is really difficult to name one single thing I'm grateful for today.  Things have been good lately.  I'm grateful for good weather, I'm grateful for improving health, and I'm especially grateful for the privilege of living with David--who made extra trips to St. Boniface this weekend bringing me things I had forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment