Saturday, September 3, 2011

another Saturday--another adventure

We started out this morning full of excitement, but without any money.  So to the credit union, then to buy gas, by which time I needed a bathroom.  When we finally hit Henderson Hwy we were racing the rain.  Yes!  We have rain!  Exciting--unless you're trying to buy veggies at farmers' stalls along the edge of the highway.  We got some nice Manitoba tomatoes--far too many and we may be sick of them before long.   There were certainly not as many stalls as I seem to remember from a past life. We saw some very pitiful tomatoes out there!  Most of the veggies ended up coming from the grocery store. Of course, when you go to the grocery store there are half a dozen things you hadn't planned to buy, but suddenly realize that you need.  The veggies for a half batch of salsa cost almost $80.00, by the time we were finished shopping.

Home again, home again.  Chop, chop and chop some more.  Blanching tomatoes--say what?? Off to my trusty Bettter Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  Whoops!  It seems that they only blanche veggies to freeze and no-one ever froze tomatoes in those days.  Finally found a special mention of peeling tomatoes under the section on canning.  That lead to a "discussion" about how to do it.  So I'm blanching and peeling, and he's cutting them up when it becomes obvious that we have far too many tomatoes, and he's strongly suggesting that I stop. Strongly suggesting. Next we have a discussion on how to chop cilantro--yes, I added a bit of cilantro as it was cheap. Whoops, no oregano--well, we'll use italian seasoning instead, after all, Cathy said we could adapt the recipe as necessary. Finally everything is in the pot.  There are four cups of chopped pepper on the table, which we'll have to freeze ( just as I planned but don't tell anyone.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!).  The heat is on and the gentle smell starts to waft towards us.  Then the not-so-gentle smell.  Seems like I used a little too much garlic.  So time to relax, and I bought a bag of taco chips for later.  Probably break out the strong drink as well.

For today, I'm considering being grateful for the idea of adventure Saturdays.  This is the second one, and I think the whole concept has possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment