Thursday, July 20, 2017

Indulgence

Today I decided to sit on the patio to bead one of my mandalas.  I was up quite early, and managed to get myself set up by about 9:00.  The forecast is for high heat and high humidex for later.  So I sat, and stitched and watched the wildlife.  It's surprising how much there is in a  small city backyard.  First were the Grackles, not an unexpected visit.  There are no seeds in the feeder, as we're trying to discourage them, but I had put out some peanuts, as I had seen a young Blue Jay drinking from our eaves trough, a few minutes earlier.  His parents also showed up but they weren't interested in the feeder, they were after the cherries.  Same with the Robins. Most of the cherries are gone, with just a few on low hanging branches.  By this time the grackles had disappeared, but they must have smelled those peanuts, because they were back in a flash.

There were also a couple of sparrows, moving around the edge of the flock of Grackles, but without much luck, from what I could see. Then the rabbits showed up, to see if the Grackles had left anything.  We may not have singing lobsters in our yard, but the activity was enough to keep me smiling most of the morning.

It's now 1:00, and the wind was blowing my beads around, so I'm back in the studio.  All of the FMQ'g is done on "The Old Summer Kitchen", and I plan to spend this afternoon starting on the thread painting.  I intend to try to push most of the maintenance housework to Fridays.  Setting aside specific days for that sort of thing was suggested on one of the blogs I follow, and I'm going to give it a try.

On another blog, I found an idea that I like.  She teaches English as a Second Language, and asks her students to come up with a "six word memoir", as a way of gauging their understanding of, and ability to express in words, concepts.  Food for thought, and maybe something to try, as a family. Here is the address

https://pegsplace.wordpress.com/2017/07/19/6-word-memoir-
series/

P.S.
Out for coffee this afternoon, and was able to sit and drink it on the patio.  What a beautiful day!  This is the day we dream of in January and February.  The kind of day that makes it worth living in Winnipeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment