Sunday, July 23, 2017

Mixed blessings

Cathy, even though you're beat and hungry, it sounds like you had a wonderful time.  I know you can't blog often, but when you do it makes your life sound much more interesting than mine.  You're out and about in the community, which means that you're maintaining a social network.  According to yesterday's Free Press, maintaining a social network is one of the keys to avoiding or delaying Alzheimer's.  There were nine keys, things like getting a good education, avoiding things like high blood pressure and cholesterol, remaining engaged in life in general ( social network), being physically active, even if it's only walking a lot, healthy diet, and a couple of others I can't remember.  I should be babbling right now. But, I'm in better shape now than I was a couple of years ago, so I guess I have to be content with that.

Not being on Facebook, I had no idea I could have watched your parade.  A couple of things have happened lately that make me think I make me think I should break down and sign up.  David has always been against it for fear of losing our privacy, but the rest of the family keep in touch that way.  As well, my fibre art support group have been talking about the need to increase our visibility, with the aim of expanding our activities to the Provincial level.  I recently signed on to Pintrest, and have enjoyed the little bit I've seen of the activities.

Today has proven a mixed blessing for me, some good things balanced with some bad.  I finished the design construction of "The Old Summer Kitchen", which left me with the final finishing.  I screwed that up, which caused David a couple of hours of picking out stitches for me,  while he was watching a car race.  When that was done, I decided that maybe the piece should be blocked.  I had forgotten that my old blocking board had fallen apart, and we had constructed another one.  Well, that sucker was heavy, but we got it up on the table, and then discovered that the wood was too hard for my T-pins.  David managed to find some little sturdy brass tack that had been enclosed in the packages of curtain rods that we bought.  We just slit the side of the plastic package, but when we had taken out the tacks, and tried to hang up the packages again, the curtain rods fell out, and down behind one of my shelving units.

So we found a hammer big enough to put the tacks into the board, and away I went.  I got the whole thing stretched and tacked down, and only hit my left thumb twice.  Yes it's sore and bruised.  This may prevent much hand sewing over the next while.

We got so busy with this chore that we forgot to put the turkey in the oven, and didn't get supper until about 7:00. And when we opened the can of cranberry jelly, we discovered that it was whole berry cranberry sauce. I figure that the lady in red must have snuck it into the house, because I would never buy the stuff.

Now, throughout all of this, David has still been trying to watch the car race on tv. He seems to have missed the best parts, as there have been a lot of smash ups, but we didn't get to see half of them.

Perhaps wisely, we have decided to defer making stock until tomorrow, especially as we don't have any supplies to  make stock.  
David is back at his car race, and has planned to finish carving the turkey once it's finished. Then I get to tidy the kitchen and may--just maybe--do the dishes, by which time I expect we'll both be ready for bed.  That's our excitement for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment