Saturday, July 15, 2017

Sandy Lake

The Sandy Lake we went to is certainly in that area.  However, the soda fountain was in nearby Newdale.  The other woman and her son were from there, where her family owned the drug store, and we went to visit one day.  I could be wrong, but I have a hunch the son, grew up to be head of Great West Life, and ultimately, a multi-millionaire--Raymond McFeetors.  The mother moved to Winnipeg, and worked as a nurse at Tache Nursing Centre when Mom was admitted there.  I remember Mom recognizing her and telling us that "Marion"(?) was there. Her name I believe was Sundell by that time. She and Mom had been girlhood friends. I'm sometimes amazed at how many friends Mom had, who remained loosely connected to her in later life.  Remember Camille, and Auntie May? I wonder how many of them attended St. Mary's Academy? And Cathy wouldn't remember Sandy Lake as that was when Mom was pregnant with her.

I'm just in Selkirk for a 5 hour shift on Tuesday, but Tuesday is often slow in the gallery, with lots of quiet time to stitch. However, there are a few regular volunteers who like to drop in frequently, so I may not lack for company.  Last time one of these volunteers  decided that I was the person with whom she felt comfortable discussing her new-found religion.  There are times like that that I very much value my training and experience.  I think you find the same thing Beth, when you help out with people like your friend Daisy.

We haven't attended any garage sales this year, other than the one at the church across the street, where we go mainly for the hot dogs. I think I told you about the wonderful round "social" table we found there this year. After spending so much time over the last year and a half getting rid of junk, it just didn't seem like a good idea.  I sort of miss finding "treasures".

In an effort to organize my housework, so as to reduce my guilt when I spend the day in the studio, I devoted yesterday to a job list. As we all know, doing one job usually leads to another, so cleaning and sorting out the pantry, lead to washing out a couple of drawers.  I was able to dispose of a few things, and my job list grew a bit.  I had no idea how many 2017 calendars we had.  Go figure. But today, I can stitch--guilt free.

No comments:

Post a Comment