Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Yesterday--

The trip to Selkirk was relatively uneventful.  Not knowing if the highway around on the east side of the river was open, I crossed at Lockport.  This made we late, but, regardless, I pulled into the drive through at Tim Horton's for my coffee.  I have to say that the drive through at Tim Horton's was the last place I would expect to run into construction, but there it was.  Yes, they were attempting to re-surface the drive through without taking it out of service.

I got to the gallery, late, and the other volunteer was quite busy, but she took the time to tell me there was a problem and she had to find someone to work with her next Tuesday.  I agreed, before I had time to even put my stuff down on the table, as I've always told them that I would be available if needed.  The visitors left, and things became quiet, remaining so for the rest of the day.  Relatively quiet, that is.  The other volunteer did not stopped talking for the rest of the day, at a rapid pace, and good volume. It seems that the problem was that she was convinced that the volunteer she had worked with the previous week had stolen a small change purse, containing $3.53, out of her purse the previous week, and she had refused to ever work with the woman again.  Thus the need to find other volunteers for Tuesdays.  She was absolutely fixed on this issue, repeating her story, ad infinitum,  to anyone who would listen, including any visitor that she recognized as local. One of the Board members was in a couple of times, trying to ease over the issue, to no avail. I can't say I agree with her method of handling the issue, which was  off-hand dismissal of the issue, threats of lawsuits, and personal insults.

At one point, unknown to us, this Board Member had phoned the accused volunteer, and left a message to be called back.  She did so, about 2:30.  The Board member had left, by this time, and the accusing volunteer took the call.  I have no idea what was said, but the lady I was with told me that she had asked the other person about the theft, and had received a total denial.  So we spent some time discussing it some more, and I ended up convincing her that the issue was over, there was nothing more that could be done, and it should never be mentioned again. Then every time she started, she would be reminded that we weren't talking about it anymore.  It still didn't shut her up, but did make her change topic.

I felt as though I was in "therapist mode" most of the day.  I was exhausted.

And where does a smile fit into all of this?  I was working on beading my mandalas, and she was fascinated with them, even offering to buy one of the, as soon as it was finished.  Go figure. Believe me there were a few "tongue-in-cheek"smiles while I was driving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment