Friday, August 18, 2017

Challenges

It's always a challenge to introduce a new animal into an established hierarchy.  Sounds as a little as though the poor thing was feeling lost with losing his old family, and is needing  lot of reassurance.  Quite likely the cats will end up in charge.  It often works out that way.

Yesterday we were up by 5:00 for a 6:00 a.m. doctor's appointment, although I think we were both awake prior to that.  I kept busy in the studio, until about ll:30, when David's sister, Gail, picked him up to drive out to Stonewall for a family funeral. This was some sort of cousin, but someone who had been included in most larger family gatherings. This gave David time with his sister.  I think that it can be overwhelming at times to spend so much time with my side of the family, so encourage these visits between the two of them. 

This left me on my own most of the afternoon, so I included a visit to the fabric store into my coffee outing. When doing more sorting and disposing of "stuff", I found 5 yards of expensive Tussa (sp?) Silk, that I bought in 1985 in Edmonton, along with matching lining material. Thinking about it, I decided that I could use a light weight over blouse/jacket, to wear to things like gallery openings and art sales. So I needed a pattern.  OMG!  Sticker shock!  I also discovered that jackets these days are very fitted, and have high collars--the sort that catch under your ears, if you're not careful.  But I did find one pattern that I like.  This is intended for a sophisticated type of patchwork, but I should be able to use it.  It just might work as patchwork for a different type of jacket. This will be the next project, after the "Future Perspective" piece is done.

By supper time we were both pretty well beat, so went out for supper.  We were later than expected getting home, and I had trouble getting to sleep.  I remember seeing 2:00 am.  This meant that today has been pretty well a "write off".  Knowing I would be useless most of the day, I needed a concrete task, rather than anything creative.  I decided to sort out the file box containing all of the household papers.  I went through and culled the files.  This, also, kept David busy shredding.  But the much smaller files are now in alphabetical order, and back where they belong.  I found that often, when getting quotes etc, the info is placed in a folder.  I ended up with a pile of these folders, empty.  Not wanting to waste anything, I determined that they were a good weight to make the "papers" for hexies.  Then spent the rest of the day tracing and cutting hexie "papers".  I figure I should never have to do this ever again.  There's a huge pile.

My piece, "Future Perspective" is not working out as well as I would like.  It may be that it doesn't quite match my vision, or that the workmanship is not perfect, or that the whole thing was a bad idea.  I think I'm going to need help with sorting it out, and may post a picture for linking with a couple of my groups.  But today is not the day for decision making, nor, as I discovered, for playing poker.  So, I have good book, and David has opened a bottle of wine.  I should sleep better tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment