Monday, August 14, 2017

Mama Mia

We just got home, and I'm having a cup of tea before bed.  This was the best live event I've ever attended.  David didn't get as much out of it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The sound system demonstrated the usual Rainbow Stage problems, which made some of the words difficult to make out, but the story was so simple, that it didn't matter. I know that the lady playing Donna, Ma-Anne Dionisio is a well known performer, all around the world, but her performance still blew me away.  What a powerful voice!  The set was amazing: the pieces moving around like some sort of fancy, and intricate dance. There were colourful costumes, more than I'm used to in the theatre ( Listen to me--how  much theatre experience do I actually have?)  The music was mostly familiar, but there were a couple of songs that I didn't recognize at all.  And I was surprised at the amount of comedy.  Maybe I shouldn't have been.  There was some sort of encore.  After the end, and the actors bows, the entire cast came back on stage, and sang at least three more Abba songs, complete with lots of energetic dancing, costume changes, and full audience participation. Everyone stood up, and clapped and sang along with the cast, and a few were even moving everything but their feet.

We used the parking lot. As we approached, and David saw a man directing the incoming cars, he put up the handicapped pass. The very first row was all handicapped, but it was full, so he directed us to a small alcove just inside the entrance, and right by the path to the theatre. When we came out there was another car beside us and five rows of cars on the grass behind us.  We were able to get out via the entrance right beside us, and were on our way in jig time.  It was slow driving out through the park, but were still home within half an hour of the show ending.

A wonderful experience, and I'm glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment