Friday, August 4, 2017

Filthy jobs

Today is Friday, the day I designate for housework and ignoring the studio.  During the week I make a list.  Routine things like doing dishes and laundry aren't on it, as those need to happen more than once week, although Friday is the day I change the bed linen.

Anyway, this weeks list was short, because there was one job on it that I've been ignoring for years.  I needed to clean up the medicine cabinet. One shelf has been a problem, one we inherited when we bought the house. The previous owners had put something on the shelf, Mac-Tac, I think, and when I pulled it off, it left a residue.  I have never been able to get it clean using traditional methods, and over the years it had become quite disgusting. Well, today was the day to do something about it. I had expected that this would be aback breaking task, using razor  blade scrapers, and lots of muscle power, and taking most of the day.  I had also heard of a product called "Goo Gone", that was supposed to clean up sticky residue.  No idea where to find it, but wondered if a big box hardware store might have it.  Since I needed some regular cleaners, as well, we first went to Walmart.  And there it was in hardware. 

While we were in Walmart, the skies opened with a deluge that was so hard, we could hear it on the roof of the Walmart store.  Made the trip a little more than interesting, as it was just starting to let up when we got home, and Walmart had been our first stop.

So David had to try the stuff out first thing, when we got home. And it worked, with the addition of a little elbow grease. All the crap gone, but we were left with a very slick, greasy surface, despite all the hot water and cleaning supplies we used.  Finally, I resorted to the world's best grease cutter--Blue Dawn--straight from the bottle.  It worked.  My cabinet is now in better shape than it was when we moved in.

However, we're both exhausted, and both glad the list is finished for another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment