Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Several special moments

Fining it very difficult to settle into anything today, I gave up the effort and decided to spend the afternoon in total self indulgence. 

My hair is just been getting too long to manage.  The last couple of weeks, I've checked the salon by Walmart every time we went in, to see if my lady was there, and I could make an appointment.  No luck.  Monday, I finally phoned and was told she had moved to Calgary.  Knowing that her life here has been very unsettled, as well, and that she had family in Calgary, I had no reason to doubt it. This afternoon I "bit the bullet", and went over to the salon in the mall across the street.  The manager has been there for ever, and was the reason I left, after she gave me two bad haircuts in a row.  But I was lucky, and a different person came to do my hair.  She looked a little familiar, and after overhearing a conversation she had with the hated manager, I asked what her name was.  Sure enough, It was Sophia, the person who had given me the best haircut I've had in the last 15 years, and of whom I had totally lost track.  This is also the lady that my former stylist told me was the only person ever allowed to touch her hair.  Not only that, Sophia was only in the shop today, to cover a shift.  She normally works in and manages a salon across town. Talk about good timing!  Needless to say, I now have an invitation to see her at her regular salon, anytime I please, in future.

After that, I went across the mall, and arranged to have a pedicure.  I had been planning to give myself one for the last week, but just never got to it.  Now my toes are pretty in pink, and as short as I like them.  And the hot stone massage that was part of it wasn't too bad either.

My third stop was the coffee store.  Since my allergic reaction to the coffee, I've been sticking to de-caf.  Last week one of the baristas told me that Tuesday was a double star day, and since  I knew  that it was time to stock up in coffee for the house, for the winter, I figured I should buy it then.  We went in yesterday, only to find out it wasn't double star day.  The barista on duty even checked on her own phone to make sure. I got an e-mail message this morning, announcing that today was the day.  The same one was on duty today, and as I walked in she loudly announced " today is double star day".  To which I replied, just as loudly, " I know and I'm so excited!"  You  should have seen the looks we got from other patrons.  But I got my coffee.  Now I get to meld the 3-4 small partial bags of regular coffee, and put, away for when my stitchery group visits.

So a relaxing and pleasurable afternoon, which was probably what I needed more than any studio activity or housework.

No comments:

Post a Comment