Friday, May 18, 2018

Busy day at the feeder

Yesterday, we thought we had seen a baby bunny at the feeder.  Today, I looked out and there were 4 grey squirrels under that feeder, all at the same time.  It looked, to me, like one large one (Mother?) and three very small ones, but David thought it might have been two adults and two babies.  I didn't think Daddy squirrels stuck around long enough to participate in child care.  After awhile it was just the three little ones, and they stuck around for quite awhile.  Eventually a very small red squirrel came along and tried to chase them away.


Later, we had a better look at the red one, and it appears to be one of this year's young, as well.  Then we saw him again.  this time peacefully eating away along side a rabbit!  Guess he is either afraid of the bigger rabbit, or doesn't see him as a threat.

Then around supper time, there was a dove on the ground feeding! It's been ages since we saw one of those.  There were a pair who used to visit a couple of years ago, but I don't remember any since.

This morning, we drove across town to hand deliver the renewal forms for David's handicap driving permit.  This is remarkable firstly because it was raining!   Secondly, this was the first time I've driven in the rain in years--and right across the city.  I tried not to show how nervous I was, and David was handy to offer advice when he thought it might be needed, so we made it home in one piece.

We have been so anxiously awaiting rain.  This is really the first good rain fall this year, and not before time! Still, it was almost straight down, so the area under the eaves and against the house may not have got much.  This is where the Lady Slippers (we now have two bunches up) in the back, and Hyndrangeas  and Juniper in the front yard are, so they'll maybe have to be watered.

Another Hockey game for David to watch tonight, and, of course, I'm busy downstairs.  I've been working on the Tall Grass Prairie piece I've been busy researching and designing over the past couple of weeks.  Then I had the thought that maybe I should get permission for using the three small sketches that I based the design on.  So I've emailed the publisher of the book I used ( from the library).  It's a small local special interest group.  Still around, although the book itself is quite old.  The work is going very well, and it would be a shame if they didn't give me permission, but I really should have thought of it before now.

No comments:

Post a Comment