Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ar-g-g-g-h!

You two have seduced my husband to the Dark Side! I went into the kitchen and there they were. Five plump red tomatoes sitting on the counter waiting for attention! I tried to explain that they were too nice to cook or preserve and he should just slice and eat them. We are still discussing that. I admit that fresh picked warm tomatoes are to die for. The flavour can't be matched. But if you're going to freeze and cook them, I believe the flavour suffers, and it's not worth the effort. David disagrees.

But I now have five meals of chili and four of beef stew in the freezer along with three meals of meatballs and five hamburger patties. I have a big casserole of pork tenderloin in mushroom gravy for tonight's supper and expect to be able to freeze a portion of that for later. We've been cleaning out he freezer of those things like two cups of chopped turkey from last thanksgiving. I have no guilt in putting that in the garbage! I also took a look at the pantry and under the stairs. I have quite a few cake mixes that have been around for awhile. So dessert will be angel food cake with ice cream and field berry pie filling as a garnish. It'll look good even if no-one likes it.

Beth, I can understand why you are so pleased with Mike--even over and above being his Mommy. I remember what a struggle it was for you to get him through his schooling. Now it sounds as though he is able to manage classes quite well. Good for him! Please pass on our congratulations! Will you miss the trips to Petawawa? While it may be just a taxi service, it's still a chance to see him and talk to him. Been there.

Cathy, I like the sound of your relationship with the Hutterites. It sounds reciprocal, and that's the way it is with friends. I'm still struggling with the consequence of dropping some of my groups. I'm finding out how few true friends I have. Treasure the ones you seem to have, Cathy.

Oh, I'm getting maudlin again. Time for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment