Friday, May 5, 2017

Need a time out

Yesterday, desperate to finish the charity quilt that's been driving me crazy, I tried to do a little work just before supper.  I had wanted to get it done,and then be free to take the machine in for servicing, as I knew the time had come.

As I was working then came a sudden loud "clunk" and I knew something serious had happened.  It certainly sounded like something had broken, and after looking at the machine, David said that for sure the titanium needle was bent.  I closed it down, immediately and got it ready to be taken in.  I had been on such a "roll", and so focused on what I was doing, that it then took me about an hour to calm down.  

This morning, first thing we took it in, and got the welcome news that it would likely be ready by Wednesday. After leaving the shop, way over on Route 90, we decided to "run away from home", and headed to Morden to a quilt show.  We both needed the down time. We haven't done this in years.  We got to drive all over South-Central Manitoba, as neither of us was sure how to get there. We saw fields being planted,and other fields being burned off.  Such flat land!  I've been told that the flattest land in the world is between Portage and Elie, and the area we were in is just South of that.  I was surprised to see the huge equipment that was being used, and David told me that they were tilling and seeding in one fell swoop.

We finally got to the show, and I was very glad to have taken my cane, as there was a lot of walking to do.  I wasn't disappointed in the show, as my expectations weren't high.  Very traditional, with an obvious worship of fine hand applique.  There were a couple of examples of more adventurous work, but, from the accompanying write-ups these were as a result of a workshop.  I ran into a couple of acquaintances who have a more "arty" bent, they agreed with my assessment.

By this time, we were hungry,and, to my surprise, in this huge arena with all sorts of displayers and vendors, ( there was a craft show and flea market at the same time), there was nowhere to buy food!  So, back to the car and head back to Carmen, where we found a drive-in stand where we were both able to find something edible. There was also a screened gazebo, where we could sit and eat in the shade.  It was a very hot day, with a fierce wind.

Home now,and both of us are exhausted. It's been a long time since we've had an outing like this, but it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment