Sunday, May 7, 2017

Tired

Not that I'm working nearly as hard as you two.  The last couple of days I've been working full out in the studio, other than cooking and going out for a few minutes for my daily coffee.  I've had to change my coffee time, as Starbucks has introduced a "Happy Hour" with 1/2 price Frappacinos.  I stopped in Friday on my way home from Morden, and it was an absolute zoo, with 5-6 staff working frantically, instead of the usual two-3 working more slowly.

David has been spending a bit of time in the garden.  The rhubarb is up nicely in both locations, as are the peonies.  We've even found two, and just maybe, 3, clumps of Lady Slippers.  They haven't done well since the bad drought a few years back. We appear to have lost 2 clumps, for sure.  We know they thrive on neglect, but the plot really needed attention, as they appeared to being choked out by Crab Grass, so David has been weeding, bit by bit.

One of the Nanking Cherry bushes is not doing well, but there are still a few (very few) branches with bloom.  If I remember there has to be at least two bushes for fruit, and David has been enjoying the cherry jelly--if he can beat the birds to the fruit.  I was concerned about the front garden by the house, but there are a few signs of life,  We covered the little Maple bush last fall to keep the rabbit from eating it down to the ground, and it is leafing out beautifully.  I'm pleased. Two other bushes are very slow, but there appear to be buds, so I'm hopeful.  I didn't check the peony in the front garden, and I should have.  It's my favourite with huge delicate pink and white blooms.

The neighbours across the back have replaced the canvas on their canvas shed.  It had been a bit of an eyesore, with all sorts of duct tape patches. Not that having the damn thing there isn't an eyesore at the best of times.  It shuts off the sun for an area of our grass, and there  is no growth there at all any more.  They had warned us before putting it up, which is why we had to get rid of the vegetable garden.

This week I read the book " The Rainbow Comes and Goes", by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbuilt, which turned out to be somewhat of an authorized biography of Gloria Vanderbuilt.  It took the form of a transcript of e-mails between the two of them, with her telling him things about her life and their family, that he hadn't known.  Sounds pretty "bla-a-ah" doesn't it?  Well, I couldn't put it down.  I sometimes like reading biographies, and sometimes give up after a chapter or two, but this one was well worth the time.  Otherwise, I'm still laughing my way through "Miss Julia".  Having said that, I'm off for a few minutes of ready before bed. 

Hope everyone had a productive weekend.  None of us has enough time left to waste a whole weekend, do we?

No comments:

Post a Comment