Wednesday, August 22, 2018

A real rain fall

In this case we asked for rain, and we got it! At least I did not have to do the watering last evening, but I did have to do some pumping from here in the house haha! And this morning it is so very cool - the storm really helped to ease the heat but I expect that may change as the sun comes up.
We went shopping yesterday as usual and I spoke with the lady in The Thrift Store who tidies up the Book section. She is there each Tuesday as are we, so I have come to speak pleasantries with her. Yesterday she asked if i were looking for a specific book so I said yes, I keep looking for Julia Child's The Art of French Cooking but I never really expect to see it on the shelf. She then told me she had it in her own collection at home, along with the sequel and that since she was never going to use it she would bring it in. She intended to go thru it and try the recipes long ago but never did...so I asked her about the movie Julie and Julia  with Meryl Streep which I love and have watched many times - this was the reason I was looking for the Cookbook. She has not seen it, but her story seems to parallel the movie's story. So here is our plan....I shall bring in the movie for her to view ( on loan) and she shall bring in the books for sale (at $2,00 each) and I will buy them and the proceeds will go to the store.  I think this was a very charitable exchange on her part. Hope it works out.
Sorry Cathy that your "bounty" was not to be this year. If only there were some way we could share what we have here. I will be so busy today doing down stuff. We had enough cucumbers of our own but didn't Harry go to the veg stand here in town and buy a bag for me to do down more! He also picked ground apples in Huntsville yesterday from the Public Orchard which we have gone to for years, and I did down apple sauce and froze it yesterday. He has more fruit leathers dehydrating right now. And the tomatoes multiply on a daily basis! 
I have heard from my friend Sue with some pictures from her cruise to Alaska in July given and arranged by her two daughters as a Birthday gift. The three of them must have had a fabulous trip together. She is offering up a few dates for our gettogether in the Fall for Lunch as we do every year. I imagine she may have a few more stories and pictures for me to see. I think I shall give her a telephone call this time instead of an email in response as i wish to offer to drive to Gravenhurst to meet them ( Sue and the other two who usually join us in the Fall) The one girl lives there and is having a horrendous time with arm fractures that are not healing and is in some great pain and very discouraged with things, She has trouble going out much so since i would like to actually see her, and she might not come as far up as Huntsville, I would meet them in Gravenhurst for Lunch. The highways would still be OK in late Sept /early Oct so I wouldn't worry about that - it is about 1 1/4 hours south - I used to drive there all the time for work.
Well, time for some Breakfast - I have been drinking pure cranberry juice since buying it yesterday to ward off that 'feeling" I am experiencing right now. Hope it works.  Take care 

No comments:

Post a Comment