Friday, August 10, 2018

Hot, hot hot!

Despite that, I had a couple of letters to mail, and books to take back to the library, so chose to walk over.  I wore the huge sunhat I got in Cuba, and actually made it there and back.  I didn't want to be stuck over the weekend, without books to read.

Yesterday was hot as well, so other than a coffee run, we've been staying pretty close to home.  David has tried to do some yard work, especially getting water to the front flower gardens.  He finds it easier to take it around in a 5 gallon pail than to try to get the hose around there. And the Hydrangeas are still very nice, especially as the one on the south side of the garden is in full bloom.  I really want to get a couple more.

It's so much cooler in the basement, and I spend a lot of time there.  Yesterday, I finished a small hanging to take out to Selkirk for a show in September.  I'll have to try to get a picture up on the other blog today.  A finish usually means a new start, so today I'm hoping to get the Damask Napkins I dyed last week interfaced (stabilized) and cut over the next couple of days.  Last evening I also got a new idea documented in my sketchbook.

Spending a lot of time reading.  The library books give a sort of synopsis on the cover, but more and more I'm finding that it doesn't tell me as much as I would like to know when I choose a book.  I picked up one yesterday that sounded like a nice gentle murder mystery.  The first 12 pages were an almost endless intense, feminist rhetoric.  What's more, there were so many characters introduced, some of them going by nick names, and with confusing forms of address,  ( e.g. everyone was "sister", but one person really was the narrator's sister.)  As well, the time jumped from past to present etc.  And that's just the first 12 pages!  

The problem is particularly true when I order books over the internet, which the library encourages us to do.  Don't even get to read the cover that way. But I have to say that the internet route is wonderful if I find an author I like, and wonder if he/she has written anything else.

Well, just about coffee time again, but today, I think I'll make it at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment